Re: Racing battery for CSP Miata

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Racing battery for CSP Miata
From: <aqn@panix.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 11:39:03 -0400 (EDT)
"William Schenker" <schenker@mediaone.net> wrote:
> My oem battery is about to die, and so I'd like to look at getting a lighter
> 'racing' battery.
>
> This car IS a daily driver.
> Any suggestions for brands/types and places to purchase?

  I have an Odyssey battery:  www.odysseybatteries.com.  (They used
  to be known as "Black Panther" batteries.)  More info here:

http://www.gti-vr6.net/library/electrical/blk_panther_batteries.html

  (For access, use id: driver   password: hired ) The one I have is
  the smallest & lightest Odyssey battery.  It weighs 25 lbs.  My last
  stock replacement battery weighed 40 lbs.

  One gotcha:  these batteries, while having a "normal" "Cold Cranking
  Amp" rating, have lower capacity than a normal battery.  While a
  normal battery may still have enough juice to crank the engine after
  a whole day of the car's running lights being left on, an Odyssey
  won't.  Odyssey claims that the battery can withstand up to 500 deep
  discharge cycles where the battery is discharged to 80%.  (They said
  nothing about 100% discharge though!)

  I do not have any experience with Optima batteries.  A bit of Web
  searching shows that the Optima  850/6 (19 lbs.) and D750/6 (24 lbs.)
  are the small and light ones.

--
Andy Nguyen \ aqn@panix.com \ http://www.panix.com/~aqn/