Re: Size does count?

To: "Phillip Osborne" <psosborn@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Size does count?
From: "Patrick Washburn" <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 07:23:14 -0500
I don't think anyone is arguing the merits of using a larger or smaller
cone, you make a fine argument for smaller ones.  Sounds like the issue is
standardization.  One region may prefer painted sticks, but when they host
a Pro they should not use them.  I have to agree with the several comments
I've seen since the event...when I go to a Pro, I would expect to see the
standard size cone just as I expect to see the same start lights.  I'll
drive it either way and not complain, but it just seems like a standard is
a good idea.

> As a guy who handles cones alot, and have handled my share in Peru, I
> personally like the 12inchers over the 18s.  Why?  Because they cost half
as
> much, are much easier to store, take up less space, and when throwing
down a
> course, and picking it up again, time is cut practically in half, and
you're
> only half as exhausted.  Loading smaller cones into the trailer or storage
> is a breeze.  If the problem is wind or exhausts blowing them out of the
> box, that could be a concern, but depth perception can be overcome by
> running a few events and getting used to them.  When a driver takes one
out,
> it will not be dragged for more than half the course before being thrown
> out.  I would think Kart and Mod car drivers would prefer the smaller
cones,
> for safety sake, and perhaps visual acuity. However, on some courses with
> exaggerated elevation changes, the taller cones may be necessary to avoid
> surprises.
> Just my two cents...

Patrick Washburn
C-Tech Trailer Cabinets