Re: Irony is lost

To: "Ron Chapman" <CHAPMANR@calbt.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Irony is lost
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 12:53:59 -0500
>My real point is that the major national  amateur championship events
should be moved around to give more people the chance to particpate.  Sure,
have it in Atlanta one year- but then, have it in Denver or someplace west.
This would undoubtedly be more work to coordinate, but that's why the SCCA
has a national staff, isn't it?

If it was just more work for National Staff, then you'd be right on.

National Staff is only the core.

It really takes quite a bit to get a site that can handle the event, and
much easier if that site is assured of being the host for more than once
(just as true of the Runoffs as of the Nationals). Then, the site may also
be willing to be more than a passive partner (look at who is doing the
patching every night at Topeka. It ain't us!). Then the peripheral
necessities also become much easier when you replicate last year's event
than when you are going someplace new and re-inventing it again.

Moving it around is a nice ideal that fails when reality is applied. Keeping
it in one place makes for a much more efficient event which benefits all. It
is why the event seems to run so flawlessly every year now. We DID move
around to a new site every year in the '70s, and you never knew what to
expect one year to the next. Now, you not only know what to expect, you know
when the benchmark has not been met.

And the level of excellence is much higher.

--Rocky Entriken