SCCA's New Home

To: <kjbarnes@compuserve.com>, <john.l.martinsen@boeing.com>,
Subject: SCCA's New Home
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 23:57:34 -0500
Ladies and Gentlemen of the BoD--

I learned tonight (8/14) that you had a presentation about possibly moving
SCCA headquarters to Topeka, Birmingham or Atlanta -- or not -- and that a
vote will be taken next Monday.

First of all, I believe you should table this matter until a summary the
details of the proposals can be published in SportsCar and the membership
has an ample opportunity for comment. This is far too vital an issue to be
rushed past the membership on less than one week's notice.

Secondly, if you must vote Monday, I would urge either a vote for Topeka, or
stay in Denver.

It is my understanding -- an understanding gleaned from rumor and bench
racing in the absence of any official SCCA notification -- that desirable
elements of a new headquarters site include venues which *could* be used for
the Solo II Nationals and the Runoffs. Topeka has these in Forbes Field and
Heartland Park Topeka.

Topeka also has reasonably good access to air transportation (someone said
as good as you have now from Englewood to DIA), as well as a fairly low cost
of living.

Topeka also has one other very important attribute both Birmingham and
Atlanta lack -- it is centrally located within the geographic United States
and easily accessible by Interstate highway both east-west and north-south.
This feature becomes far more important in consideration of
Nationals/Runoffs sites than as a business headquarters.

Topeka's attributes may well be enough to warrant a move from Denver. In my
opinion, neither Birmingham nor Atlanta meets that test. If consideration of
a move includes the possibility of moving (or keeping) our two major
championship events in the same community as the headquarters, in
consideration of members' travel needs that community should be as central
as possible. Your 600 racers at the Runoffs at least have a travel fund.
Your 1200 autocrossers at the Nationals are all there on their own nickel.

Choose Topeka, or stay in Denver.

Better -- table the item until December or January. There is no need for a
rush to judgment.

--Rocky Entriken / 19814
  Salina Region SCCA