Re: 626 Fan Belt?

To: "Chris's Email" <carguycw@flash.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 626 Fan Belt?
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 18:54:55 -0500
>1st-generation Mazda 626's (1979-1985, I think) were *not* FWD- they were
>RWD.

And nifty, well-balanced cars, too.  Nice, fun, autocrossers, though not
competitive.  The worst was the engine peripherals being afflicted with a
carburetor and miles of god-knows-what tubing marching in multiple file all
over the engine compartment.  When we got an '82 coupe, it had a bad spider
in one of the three drive-shaft U-joints.  I carried it around with me in a
baggy to show it to autocross folks.  Most found it difficult to believe the
part came out of a car the seller was actually driving.  We drove it on both
street tires and sticky Yokos.  Finally sold it as rust was claiming the
steering-box mount (yes, we warned the buyer).

>If I recall correctly, they had fan belts, not electric fans. However,
>it's been about 8 years since I peered under the hood of one, so don't take
>my word for it 8-)

As I recall, there was a fan belt.  I, too, have been absent from the
internal workings of this car for some time.

Phil "been associated with some pretty cheap cars" Ethier
Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati