Re: Early classing observations

To: "autox@autox.team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Early classing observations
From: Chris Eckles <MRoadster@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 09:08:17 -0500
I have to say that I am alarmed by the thought of the Boxster S being
classed in the new AS, rather than in SS, next year.  I, too, feel that the
Boxster S belongs in the fastest stock class.  The regular Boxster and the
S2000 should be in AS.  I am otherwise in favor of the proposed SS/AS
split.

Cars _have_ to be classed according to their speed.  Rather, their
POTENTIAL speed, once set up well.  The goal is to be able to compete with
other cars in your class and have some chance of winning (or as close to
this as we can get with 9 stock classes).

Now, if Rob Falkner was the only person able to drive this car this fast -
maybe we could call it the driver.  But Robert Houser does some pretty good
times in the same car.  One driver pushing a car this fast could be a
fluke, but two?  Thus, we have to agree that the Boxster S is capable of
competing with the RX-7tt, and probably the Z-06 as well (at least so far),
and should be in the same class.

Chris Eckles
White M Roadster
Atlanta