Re: HANS in slow motion

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: HANS in slow motion
From: "ds_schwabe" <davidschwabe@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 07:21:30 -0600
Mike,

Scott Pruett was on RPM tonight last week and showed a modification to the
HANS for closed-cockpit drivers that allows the type of movement you talk
about.

It's basically a ripcord-like strap that the driver reaches back to pull on,
which then releases the tether from the back of the helmet... it will then
allow free movement of the head and shoulders to get out of a car.

--Dave

PS -- I know this is an autocross list, and I know all of our debate will do
little or nothing to sway a sanctioning body, but I still think this is a
good discourse here... we all love the sport and want to make it better,
make it safer. We may disagree at times on how to get there, but ultimately
that's a good thing.