RE: My Boneheaded Theory (I hope I'm wrong...)

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: My Boneheaded Theory (I hope I'm wrong...)
From: "Michael McAvoy" <thedoc@premier1.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 14:22:05 -0800
I thought this was rather interesting as well.

Just a bit ago, there was a special about Earnhardt on TV, which described
NASCAR as having among the most restrictive rules anywhere.  It went into
detail about how the shape of the cars is so closely regulated by the
templates, and how the drivers must wear fireproof helmets and suits,
heat-resistant shoes, etc...  This "restriction" was passed off on the show
as all being for safety.  Um, OK.

So when a car is being teched, they spend hours to ensure that is
aerodynamically fair for competitive purposes, and a few minutes checking
for approval labels on equipment that just about any other racing body does
anyway.

An official is aware that many seat belts are improperly installed, but is
anything done about it?  I sincerely doubt it.  If a car failed tech even
ONCE for improper belt installation, it would probably almost never happen
again.  It sounds like the NASCAR tech inspection barely touches on ensuring
safety.

Why is NASCAR putting blame on the teams, when the problem is ignorance?
When Burton found these improper installations, did he keep them to himself?
Or did he walk over to a crew chief and have a discussion about it, and
follow up later, making sure they were fixed?  Did he really consider it to
be a problem himself?  If the sanctioning body is aware of a safety problem
with a known solution, and does nothing to resolve the problem, then it has
failed the drivers, teams, and the fans alike.

Strangely, the aerodynamic rule changes are being heavily criticized.  I
just don't get this, either.  Yes, they may have contributed to "the big
one", but had little to do with Earnhardt's  wreck.  I could see how they
may be frustrating for drivers, but then racing isn't supposed to be easy,
is it?  Finally, I would like to say that the close, pass-intensive action
made this one of the more enjoyable NASCAR events I have watched in a long
time.

- Michael McAvoy