Primitive Racing goes International

To: nwautox@wwscc.org, ax-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Primitive Racing goes International
From: PaulEklund@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 12:43:28 EST
For Immediate Release                      February 21, 2001
Portland, OR

Primitive Racing Enters Cherokee Trails International ProRally

The west coast based, privateer team of Paul Eklund (Seed 1 driver) and Scott
Huhn (co-driver) have made plans to attend the FIA listed rally in
Chattanooga, Tennessee.
"This is a 6,000 mile round trip for our racing team, but we feel that that
this [Cherokee Trails] is a significant event and important for some
Championship points early in the season," says team owner Eklund.  "The
logistics for moving the car and service van are large, and we will need to
rely on some volunteer help to assist in service, but we feel that we can run
with the big boys."

Eklund and Huhn will be racing  the screaming yellow  Subaru Impreza USX,
with a big thunderlizard on the side, a fresh 265hp turbocharged motor, DMS
50mm suspension, and a host of performance upgrades from Primitive
Enterprises.  "We are coming off of two top-five finishes at the end of last
season," co-driver Huhn says, "and we hope to pick up right where we left
off."  "This rally allows pace noting, so things should get interesting."

Primitive Racing is sponsored by Royal Moore Subaru, DMS USA, Driving Force
Racewear, T-Scandia Motors, Silverstone Tires, Taylor Made Labels, and
www.subaru.net     The rally will be televised on SpeedVision in April.

The team has spent a busy winter building a new motor featuring ceramic
coated, low compression, turbo pistons, Pauter racing rods, Total Seal rings,
an Extrudehone
intake manifold, enlarged throttle body, and reworked TEC II engine
management.  The transmission sports a new 2nd gear cluster to help survive
the increased engine output.  "We are still loosing a few horsepower to the
other Open class cars," laments Eklund, "but we currently don't have the
resources to mount a major engine development program."

Also over the winter, the service van and race trailer were rebuilt to make
the long tows easier.  "We shed about 1000lbs and things should be a little
cleaner and more organized for our service crews," commented crew chief Karen
Price.

While driver Eklund flew to Europe for testing and training, the yellow USX
made the car show circuit, going on display at the LA Autoshow, the Portland
Autoshow and the Oregon Sportsman Show.  In the meantime, plans were being
put into place to campaign a new 2002 WRX later in the season.  "All-in-all,
we have been busy campers getting exposure for our sponsors and paving the
way to take the next step towards becoming a top rally team.  "I won the
Co-driver's Championship in PGT in 1998 and several other SCCA driving
Championships, but I really would like to take a shot at the overall driver's
Championship in ProRally,"  said Eklund in a recent interview.

Read the latest team developments at:  www.get-primitive.com

For more information, contact Paul Eklund at: (503) 624-2139