Re: Helmets

To: PbPied@aol.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Helmets
From: pethier@isd.net
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 19:07:58 GMT
>Visit a local motorcycle shop.  I got a good price on a Shoei
>RF-800 (Snell M95) yesterday,

Wht's a good price?

>There are some interesting ones available on the net, of course.
>SCCA racer Paul Hacker is selling off F1 Aero, F1, and Predator
>helmets from the Bieffe line.  They are all SA95, I believe.

There are 6 helmets listed.  The three you mentioned are SA95.  The other three
appear not to be any sort of Snell at all, so read carefully.  I blanch at an
opening bid of $250 for an autocross helmet.

For autocross, I'd expect  person would be better off with a Snell M2000 than
a Snell SA1995.

Locally, in the Twin Cities, Snell 1995 will be required this year.  The Met
Council includes a PCA club, an NCCC club and  BMW club, and I believe the
national
clubs of all these, and therefore their insurance requires 1995 Snell, either
M or SA for low-speed autocross.  So even the local SCCA region will require
Snell 1995 for Twin Cities events.  One can expect that a new helmet will be
needed in five years.

>On another subject......
>Anyone in the mood to develop their own motor coach?
><http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=548639802>

We have this model bus in service here in town.  I always wanted to ride one
to get the effect of riding in the trailer and watching the front half go up
an down.  Never have, though, because my lines use normal-sized busses.  I think
these things could be a handful on ice, since the drive wheels are on the
trailer.

The problem with any of these busses are that the are rear-engined and you can't
drive your competition car into the back (Hi, Pat!).  Side-loading a car could
require some expensive hardware.  Motor-cycle racers could use this pretty
handily,
I'd think.

Phil Ethier