Plugging a tire (was Re: Need one last opinion before i buy,

To: "Brian Berryhill" <brianberryhill@flashmail.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Plugging a tire (was Re: Need one last opinion before i buy,
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 21:47:50 -0600
No question an internal patch properly affixed is best, but when that just
ain't possible a plug is far better than the hole itself or the nail that
made the hole. Always good to have some cold-plug repair in your pit kit.

FWIW, I've pushed external plugs into tires a number of times, never with a
problem. That includes race slicks. That includes race slicks I then put on
a race track (not just one minute on an autocross course). They always held.

I once ran over a hood pin in the paddock, one of those two-prong bobby-pin
kind, and left two side-by-side vampire holes in my tire an hour before my
race. People told me then you could not plug a race slick. Bushwah! Plugged
'em both, went out and did the race. Never lost air. Ran the tire for
several events thereafter until it went to cord. That's not the only time I
ever plugged a slick either.

BTW, to do it right, you don't just shove the plug in dry, or even with a
little squeeze out of some wimpy tube of cement; I carry a bottle of rubber
cement and drown the plug in that first. Amazing how well it works.

--Rocky Entriken