Re: Mid-Winter Party (SCCA Convention)

To: "Jeff Lloyd" <Jeff@cyberconceptz.com>
Subject: Re: Mid-Winter Party (SCCA Convention)
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 13:07:15 -0600
I don't know if "most" do. Some do, certainly, and SCCA also has a program
to subsidize smaller Regions. But rare is the Region that will back more
than one representative to a convention, and most commonly that rep is the
RE or some other Regional official.

If, in addition, Joe Member wants to go, the cost is out of proportion to
the benefit. That's why mostly you will see the "usual suspects" there,
mostly the old, rich, gray guys. I only meet two of those qualifications.
:-)

There are those for whom $500 is play money. There are those for whom $500
is a significant percentage of a race budget. You will not get the latter at
a convention that costs $550 for husband and wife to attend. And IMHO, the
latter is exactly who SCCA NEEDS there if it is going to reverse the graying
of the club, appeal to the Speed Freakz crowd, and reduce the "Secret CCA"
perception.

The SCCA subsidy maxes out at $300. That'd pay the registration fee and not
quite one night's hotel room. IMHO, it ought to be able to cover the
registration fee and ALL the hotel room, just by way of comparison of the
expense.

Salina Region is not sending anyone this year. We could. We could afford to,
subsidy or no. We do not see it as worth the price. We'd rather spend the
money on a new generator -- something that will enable us to do better
events.

When I was RE of Salina Region the convention was Boston. The region elected
to send me and my wife (who was Treasurer). The total cost was something
like $1200 including travel out, registration fee (which was not quite as
bad) hotel (something like $95/night for a room that listed for about double
that, so a good rate relatively speaking). We spent the same a year earlier
to send a rep to ... Phoenix? (I forget, but somewhere southwest). For small
regions, that is a lot of budget. We got the both of us to Boston for the
same price we flew one to Phoenix mostly by making reservations way early.

Part of my squawk with the current conventions is that Denver is close
enough we could drive out and it really would not cost us that much, but the
cost to walk into the room is not on a par with the benefit of being there.
Not when I can get demonstrably the same benefit at a Divisional convention
for 15% of the cost, or at a National Solo II for 33% of the cost and get an
autocross thrown in.

It costs almost as much just for the Saturday night banquet (without doing
ANY convention sessions) as it did for the entire Solo II Nationals. One
Meal: $70. That's outrageous. I could care less if the room has a crystal
chandelier, fine china and liveried waiters. Just feed me a good chunk of
cow and present the awards.

--Rocky