RX-7 vs MR2 ( was re: Car Classifications )

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RX-7 vs MR2 ( was re: Car Classifications )
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 21:16:06 -0500 (EST)
Andrew_Bettencourt@Kingston.com wrote...
> A great regional car but a touch heavy at 2700-2800 lbs and a soft
> torque curve from the 13B.  Wheels a little narrow for the weight..

   That sounds good, except when you look at the numbers.  Our 1989 RX-7
GTU is a few dozen pounds lighter than an MR2NA, and the torque peak is
the same, but 200 RPM earlier in the 13B versus the 5SFE.  ( All Factory
numbers. )

   The rear wheels on the GTU are 1" narrower, the fronts are the same as
the MR2.

   The GTU also has a big advantage with a ~2000 RPM higher redline.

   That said, our GTU, which has never been seriously autocrossed, is
forsale, and I hope to replace it with another MR2.  I can believe that
the MR2 is significantly faster, but nothing on paper indicates it.

--
 D a v i d  H i l l m a n
 hillman@planet-torque.com