RE: STS and SM bogus counting?

To: "Benjamin D. Thatcher" <bthatch@juno.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: STS and SM bogus counting?
From: "Kevin Stevens" <Kevin_Stevens@Bigfoot.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 11:36:58 -0800
> In spite of Paul Foster and Roger Johnson panning the STS and SM classes
> we have found that STS, STR and SM are big enough here in Atlanta to
> completely fill one of our 5 run groups at each event. We average about
> 170 entries per event and 20-25 of those entries are in STS, STR and SM.

To be useful, you have to put this data in some kind of context:

- How many of those entries are new participants?

- How many of those entries would be participating in a different class if there
were no SM/ST?

Just reciting a litany of entries is pointless.  In SFR we averaged 10 entries
in ST and 7 in SM.  How many wouldn't have been there but for those classes?
Hard to say, but based on talking to the drivers I'd say only a couple.  The
others would have simply entered in some combination of ESP, CSP, and OSP.  In
fact, they entered in whichever class registration suggested they enter based on
their preparation description, then looked at the best-prepared cars in that
class and planned their mods accordingly.

KeS