Re: Maserati but not Porsche ( was re: SM Inclusion List )

To: rjohnson@friendlynet.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Maserati but not Porsche ( was re: SM Inclusion List )
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 14:35:05 EST
In a message dated 12/9/00 10:36:51 AM Pacific Standard Time,
rjohnson@friendlynet.com writes:

> Most of THOSE younger folks had no idea what the car was.
> Upon finding out that it was a Ford (!) and 30 years old(!!)
> the reaction was priceless.  When it beat all but one of them,
> the muttering was intense.
>
> Somewhere, at this very moment, one of them is putting the
> Pinto on the exclusion list.

Reminds me of my early days in CSP.  I built an RX-3 when SP went National in
'83.  All the young punks with their RX-2s, 3s and 510s thought I was
cheating because my RX-3 sounded different, and this "old guy" (I was 28) was
kicking their butts.  It was just a different exhaust.  Randy Kenyon (my main
competitor) and Mike Mazzei had a fast RX-2, and they had to let their little
buddies know that my engine was NOT ported.  I even went and got manifold
gaskets and labelled them "Teardown gasket set" and laid them on the hood to
challenge them.  Eventully, they quit bitching and a couple of them actually
learned to drive!

In '84, they started getting beat by a Pinto, too, with another "old guy"
driving!

CHD