Re: What's wrong with this pitcure?!?

To: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Subject: Re: What's wrong with this pitcure?!?
From: Paul Foster <pfoster@gdi.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 12:16:08 -0500
Mark Sirota wrote:

> Paul Foster wrote:
> > Are we deciding which cars to include based on image or
> > performance?
>
> In my opinion, image is not necessarily a bad element to include
> in classing decisions.  Marketing is important.

Unless you allow wheel-to-wheel racing and dragging at autocross sites I
don't think you are attract many people from the riceburner crowd to
justify the effort.

> For example, whether the M3 belongs in ESP or not on
> performance merits, having it there creates an image problem.

The problem is actually caused by us not having a "sedanish sport coupe
with lots of hp" class so it has to be shoehorned into a class where it
doesn't belong in order to be competitive.

> The same goes for Porsches in the current SM.  Wait until there
> are more SM classes.  It's the wise thing to do.

So I get shoved into the "2-seater" SM where I will be uncompetive
against the likes of a 2000 lb. Morgan with a Roer 4 liter V8 making
350+ hp. Sounds fair to me. I don't want to scare away anybody with my
awesome 3000 lb 250 hp turbo car.

Paul Foster