Re: Letter to SEB / ESP

To: "Roger Johnson" <rjohnson@friendlynet.com>,
Subject: Re: Letter to SEB / ESP
From: Brian M Kennedy <kennedy@i2.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 04:58:25 -0600
At 11:01 PM 10/30/00, Roger Johnson wrote:
> > to be in BSP (where it likely will be uncompetitive -- a shame, as there
> > is a large community of M3 autocrossers that ignore SCCA due to being
>classed
> > uncompetitively -- luckily, they have the BMW clubs).
 >
>Safe to assume that this "large community" will make up for the
>existing denizens of ESP we have & will continue to lose?  The
>community is really as large as the F-car & Mustang contingent?
>
>Altho' this obscures the real issue .  .  .  .  .

Uhhh... that says BSP up there.  This was not an argument that we should
trade communities... I would never want to lose the pony cars in favor of
any other community, no matter how large.  The M3 community is quite large,
but probably not quite as big as the ponycar contingent.

>Brian, what model BMW do you drive?

Next season I'll be autocrossing a 360 Modena, no matter where the M3 goes.
Of course, unless the SEB classes the 360, its not legal in SCCA... so I'll
have to run it in A-Mod (not legal there either, but at least nobody will
care if I am there).

My family car is a partially-SP-prepped M3 that I autocrossed in past years,
but only rarely in CSP (not much fun against CRXs).  Mostly I ran with the BMW
club where I've met a lot of autocrossers that have very low opinions of
the SCCA (due partially to the fact that almost every year a BMW wins a class
it is immediately re-classed to where it is non-competitive; and due partially
to the inflexibility of the allowed mods in the classing).

So, I have some experience here... but no vested interest in the outcome.

My comments can be summed up as:  Lots of energy is being focused on the
Nationals results -- I find those quite non-compelling.
The series of ProSolo results are more compelling, if ProSolo is allowed
to be an issue.  I've seen very little other arguments... perhaps they are
very strong, I don't know -- but all the energy seems to be trying to
convince me the Nationals results are strong justification for the M3's
removal (there have been *hundreds* of messages about those Nationals
results... sheesh).

Brian

P.S. The suggestion to move the E36 M3 LTW to the same line as the E36 M3
and move the pair to BSP might be a good answer.  That would increase the
flexibility in mods a bit (happy M3ers) and might be enough to make the
M3 somewhat competitive in BSP (happy M3ers) -- after all, the LTW is
not a good ASP car anyway.