RE: M3 in F-stock

To: Digest Auto-x <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: M3 in F-stock
From: Ron Katona <rkatona@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 00:07:07 -0500
Dunlap, Peter wrote:
> I don't think anyone can argue with a straight face that the E46 M3 is a
> good match for ESP

Hmm... E46 M3: 333 hp, 3450 lb, front engine, RWD, big
brakes/wheels/tires
Camarobird: 320 hp, 3550 lb, front engine, RWD, big brakes/wheels/tires

:-) <--- not a straight face

One thing to realize with the E46 though is that the motor is as close
to maxed out in stock form as possibly any motor short of (and maybe
including) an S2000 has ever been in a street car. I'm going to be very
surprised if someone can tweak an extra 10-15 hp out of one of these in
SP legal trim. In fact, rumor has it they are shearing crankshafts and
production has halted. PTG racing only runs 8200-8300 rpm with 400-450
hp in these motors in their ALMS cars (custom intake, exhaust,
electronics, CNC'd head work, titanium con rods). 8000/333 hp is a bit
lofty for street use in a 3.25L straight 6.

> Here's a suggestion, and I'm serious.  How about putting all the M3's in
> BSP, maybe putting certain models on the same line (hell, put them all on
> the same line if it gets them out of ESP).  Based on how close Bob was to
> BSP times, I would think with the additional capability to update/backdate
> to the lightweight (would this help?) or use the E46 engine (I know that
> would help!) it would be very competitive.  In fact, I would hate to be a
> Corvette owner then!

Other than the 4-banger E30 M3 I assume?

Once you're in SP, the LTW has maybe a 50-75 lb advantage. It has
aluminum door skins and some sound deadening removed. The other items
like lighter seats, lighter wheels, 3.23 rear, A/C delete, radio delete,
and sunroof delete can all be duplicated in the regular M3 under current
SP rules. I agree that if the E36 M3 goes to BSP, the LTW should go on
the same line, but realize that those aluminum doors are very rare and
expensive. Very few M3s will be able to take advantage of that meaning
the same line designation will be somewhat meaningless for
update/backdate to LTW parts, however logical. There were only something
like 100 LTWs made. I don't know how many extra doors or other parts are
available.

If you put the new E46 engine, or even the old Euro M3 320 hp motor, in
the US E36 M3 you'd have one very bad dog. You're talking about a 25%
increase in power in SP trim and even greater gains in torque. Drool...
drool... drool... $10k for a motor is a bit steep for me though.

The one big thing that I think makes the E36 M3 a fair match in ESP is
that after about $1000 in mods it's forever limited to 265-270 hp due to
head restrictions. You can't make more power, and you can't spend more
money making it (and the US 3.2 isn't any better). With the Euro motor
it would be a joke. Not only would it make the car an overdog in any SP
class, but it would be only for those who can afford 10k+ engine swaps.
:-( I don't think this is legal anyway since that motor was never an
option in the US. There were a handful (maybe 50) of Euro motored cars
delivered to Canadian dealers early on before BMW decided to pull the
plug on that, but I don't think that swap is legal in SP either. Those
are very rare finds!
--
Ron Katona