Re: M3 in F-stock

To: "Dunlap, Peter" <Peter.Dunlap@Surgient.com>
Subject: Re: M3 in F-stock
From: Todd Green <tag@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 22:12:33 -0600
Nice story Peter.  Please allow me to interject some facts in lieu of
your fabricated numbers.

>September 2003
>--------------
>After two years of development Bob's E46 M3 finishes 2nd in SS at Nationals,
>losing to a Z06 Corvette by a margin of .3 seconds.

In 1998 Bob only managed 10th and was 2.754 out of first.
In 1999 Bob only managed 11th and was 1.423 out of first.

Not exactly "2nd" and ".3" out of first, now is it?

>September 2004
>--------------
>Bob's M3 wins Nationals by a convincing 1.5 seconds, defeating the previous
>year's F-stock national champion.

Bob won 2000 Nats by 1.066 seconds, not 1.5 seconds.

>reason for the convincing victory, apparently assuming that Fred must be
>one of the average drivers since he lost by 1.5 seconds.

I don't remember anyone questioning Mark's driving ability.  (Of course
I only skim team.net, mostly because it consits of posts like yours.)

>good reason to re-class a car.  Why the M3 needed to be made competitive
>was not discussed.  Someone mentions that the M3 was moved because M3
>owners thought it was a good idea and none of the FS drivers seemed to mind.

The M3 moved, IMHO, because it was competing against cars that were
~1,000 lbs less in weight amognst numerous other major differences.  Now
whether it should have moved to BSP or ESP is a matter of debate, isn't
it?   Are you really trying to argue that the M3 has a lot in common
with a CRX?

>"Well, Fred won Nationals in 2003 by 1 second, why weren't all the '98
>Camaros reclassed?"
>(Perhaps because many of the other cars in the class were also Camaros?)

By your logic, we should have the E30 and E46 M3 in ESP since the
"M3" is there.  We thank you for suggesting that the E46 M3 belongs in
ESP. That'll solve the pesky problem of the E36 M3 "dominating" cuz the
top drivers will move to the E46. ;) ;) ;)

>Sometimes when you get a creative idea you just have to go with it.

Creative ideas (like this) are great for works of fiction.  They do
little for helping class cars.

>The M3 was moved to ESP.  It dominated.  There is no way prove whether
>this is exclusively because of Bob Tunnell's driving skill.  Therefore,
>for the good of the class, it should be moved.

The M3 won events all year by margins far less than what Mark beat the
other Pony/Fbody cars at Nats.  It is unfortunate that Bob and Mark
didn't run against each other all year so that we could have more than
one data point upon which to try to draw a conclusion.

Back to prepping my car for 2001,
Todd