BSP

To: duncanscca@aol.com, seb@scca.org, autox@autox.team.net, jkinser77@aol.com
Subject: BSP
From: jon e prevo <tcbracer@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 21:07:31 -0600
Hello.

My name is Jon Prevo.  I used to run a Datsun 260Z in BSP.  Early this
season, I took a look at the class and began to evaluate my chances of
preparing and driving a National Championship caliber Datsun within the
next few years.  Yes, it's been done.  However, I thought I was seeing a
trend in the class based on the ongoing technological developements of
the Corvettes as compared to the current and projected future
developement potential of the first generation Z cars, which basically
obsoletes the Datsun.  I posted queries on Team.net addressing my
concerns.  I spoke to Howard Duncan concerning the situation.  After
about a month of discussion within the autocross community and within
BSP, mostly with Corvette drivers...I came to the conclusion that most
people agree that the Datsun is uncompetitive but feel that addressing
the issue is not important to the sport.  Corvette drivers don't want to
be moved to ASP.  There aren't enough Datsun drivers to create a hue and
cry for a change.  Etc...

I chose to begin the transformation to F Prepared in May of this season.
I made my first runs in a stripped down BSP Datsun against Tom Holt and
Peter Fehn, et al. in June.  I have had a blast so far and I am confident
that within a few years I will have as reasonable an expectation of
trophying at Nationals as anyone else.  I have started developing a new
chassis to be the platform for my long-term car, with high enthusiasm and
high hopes.  Still, the BSP thing haunts me.  I liked BSP.  I have good
friends there.  I like the idea of getting the most out of a car which is
theoretically still streetable.  I miss BSP.

Today, I saw the Z06 in action.  Howard, you were there.  Since I have
friends in the class, I always spend a bit of time discussing the day
with the Corvette guys, and the unanimous concensus among the BSP folks
is that the stock Z06 is faster than "most" BSP prepped C4/C5 Vettes.
Ongoing technology.  Continued developement.  Etc.

I understand the Z06 will be classed in SS, BSP.  If this is so, I have
no complaint, as I understand the political clout of the masses who are
in love with the great American sports car and the lack of same of the
few who soldier on in their feeble, outdated relics from Asia.  I do,
however, feel that now would be an excellent time for the SEB to move the
Datsuns to a place where they can once again be competitive and possibly
give some of our lost competitors a reason to come back to autocross whom
we have lost to other types of sporting events the last few years.  CSP
looks like a good place.  The Datsun matches up well with the RX7s and
Porsches in FP, and it seems from typical times I have seen that they
match up well with the RX7s, MR2s, etc. in CSP.

I hereby request that the SEB undertake an investigation into moving the
Datsun 240, 260 and 280Z, 1970-1978, from BSP to CSP.  I am posting this
letter additionally to Team.net, with the invitation for any like-minded
individuals to send messages of agreement, and the invitation to open
discussion of this issue.

Respectfully,
Jon Prevo
Texas Region FP Datsun 260Z