Re: STS Tire Rules

To: autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: STS Tire Rules
From: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 22:18:00 -0500

Roger Johnson wrote:

> As Dennis Grant might clearly tell you Loren, I have NO
> negativism about any class - unless the participation numbers
> show it to be unworthy of inclusion as a National class.

(Note to self:  Always consult with Dennis first.)

So, since you wouldn't say anything negative about STS otherwise, are you
saying that STS shouldn't be a national class because it can't provide the
participation numbers?  That's not at all what I thought I read.  Your
first post on this topic made it clear that you felt that STS should NOT be
a National class for a completely different reason.  Something about
R-tires in stock classes and not having it both ways.

> Some of my best friends run SM.  I have run it myself.  I would
> NOT, however, welcome an SM driver as a son-in-law.

How (or why) did SM enter this discussion about STS tires?

> This entire discussion began with a hue & cry to have STS as
> a full National class.  I do have strong reservations about this
> ONLY from the standpoint of the inherent, unworkable, unenforceable
> "140" treadwear rule.

You've made that clear.  And I think everyone understands where you're
coming from.  I even accept that you may be correct in that there's nothing
we can do to make it better.  I don't, however, feel that we're more "at
risk" of falling victim to an unscrupulous tire manufacturer than any other
class. (not saying it can't or won't happen)

> You may dismiss these concerns all you wish - you may wish to not
> discuss them on the eGroups STS list -  however someone will
> have to resolve these issues in the Protest Shed at the Nationals.  Frankly,
> I clearly prefer what those of us on the PC had this year on ThFr - NO
> protests - to what will assuredly happen should STS gain National
> status with the existing tire rule.  That is the level of my 'volunteering',
> Loren.

Thank you for being a high-level volunteer, especially in such a thankless
position.

Now, rather than just telling us that our rules won't work... perhaps with
all of your experience in the Protest Shed you could offer some suggestions
on how we could try to make it work.  It should be obvious to you that
we're going to try to make it work anyway.  If 140 treadwear and an
exclusion list won't work, what will?

Give us something positive rather than something negative.

--
Loren Williams | Loren@kscable.com
'94 Saturn SC2 | Wichita Region SCCA - http://www2.southwind.net/~scca