RE: Why I Drive a Mod car

To: autox@autox.team.net,
Subject: RE: Why I Drive a Mod car
From: "Stolz, Ken" <StolzK@mso.umt.edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 16:22:21 -0600
I have appreciated the conversation about stock versus mod classes.  Having
driven some sort of Lola at seemingly insane speeds once on a road course
(late 60s? - if you remember them you didn't live them?), I find the pure
speed argument somewhat compelling.  But out here in Montana, we are a
little short on Mod cars (except some D and E mods like my underprepared V-8
Fiero).

I would like to consider purchasing an already completed, but perhaps
getting a little "uncompetitive", "inexpensive," "low-maintenance," A, B, C,
or F mod car (don't ask for much do I?).  Do I remember that some Mod class
has largely snowmobile engines and "clutchless" transmissions (we do have
some good snowmobile engine builders nearby)?  Have I seen some VW-based mod
cars (we do have a couple of good VW shops in town - one run by our frequent
FTD 240Z driver)?

Where can I find out more about A, B, C, and F Mod cars?  And where might I
start purchasing one that might be reasonably maintained in MT?

Many thanks!

~ Ken Stolz
Missoula, MT
kstolz@selway.umt.edu (The University of Montana)
84 2m4 SE FOR SALE - Best Offer.
86 SE - at the Fiero Factory - looking for a new home
86 V-8 GT (an "Archie") SOLD!.
87 GT Auto (with 50K miles 88 V-6 by Ed Parks) - getting complete original
paint
87 Coupe - at the Fiero Factory - looking for a new home
88 GT Auto, only 51,000 miles, SOLD!