Re: Stock Class Cars & Prices

To: autox <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Stock Class Cars & Prices
From: "Burns, James B." <James.Burns@jhuapl.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 09:27:32 -0400
Matt Murray wrote:
>Third in A Stock was a '95 MR2. Prices range from $8k on up.

You can indeed find MR2 Turbos from $8K on up.  I even saw one recently for
$5K.  It had some flood damage several years ago and a salvage title, but
looked like it was repaired just fine.  However, a '94 or '95 MR2T will cost
you at least twice that $8K, and (unfortunately) a '94 or '95 is what I
personally want.  Many autoxers prefer the '91-92 cars since they tend
toward oversteer and are therefore easier to rotate, but I think I was more
competitive in my fully loaded '94 T-top car than in my zero-option '91
hardtop.  The '93+ cars have larger diameter wheels, bigger brakes, shorter
shifter, and a lower stiffer suspension.  They understeer in stock form, but
with shocks and alignment you can easily fix that.  They also have a bigger
throttle body and seem to have less lag, although the power and torque
ratings are the same.  In '94 they got a smaller diameter steering wheel and
shorter throw clutch which make them more enjoyable to drive, IMO.  The
'94-95 cars are really hard to find, and when you do find one they are
expensive.  I wish I handn't sold mine.

Brad Burns
'99 Miata Sport, red (for sale)