RE: Rubber Buildup at Nats

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Rubber Buildup at Nats
From: miket <miket@interaccess.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 00 11:46:33 -0500
I find Gary's observation easy to believe.  Last year I walked the North
course after CP ran and I had significant rubber build up on my shoes - even
after 1 walk!!!  It was amusing to listen to the sounds of everyone's shoes
walking after CP - it sounded like everyone's shoes were glued to the ground!

Mike Taylor

>===== Original Message From GSMnow@aol.com =====
>Karly and I hand peeled almost all of the warm soft rubber off of the rear
>tires before she and Sara took their last runs. The buildup was so bad after
>the first 4 runs, we felt this was needed. The rubber that cured on after
>nationals was from just two runs on just the north course. The BIG mistake
>was leaving it on after their runs til we got back home to peel it. After my
>runs in the earlier heat, there was not enough build up to bother with
>peeling it.
>
>Maybe I was hanging the tail out a bit more and scrubbed some off while
>driving, but this does not totally hold either, because Sara's last run was
>even faster than my best on the north course, it should have been just as
>able to scrub the rear tires.
>
>I am not blaming any CP'ers, just the fact that they have very large, very
>soft tires, they tend to slide around a bit, and there were 66 of them laying
>down rubber. Had we took the time to peel them right after the runs, it would
>not have been a very big deal. After it had cured (over a week!!) it took
>alot of work and the torch to get it off. I would have tried driving it off,
>BUT to get the tires to fit in our trailer, I had to peel it odd the 2 spots
>on each tires or the hold down bar would not fit, yes it was THAT bad. So now
>the tires were far from round.
>
>Gary M.
>
>P.S. We had an 11 run day (My wife got a re-run) on asphalt this past Sunday,
>and those previously burried tires now look like less than one event of wear.
>We used them on the front.
>
>.

Mike Taylor
miket@interaccess.com