CDLs (was: New Car Hauler)

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: CDLs (was: New Car Hauler)
From: jac73@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 11:12:39 -0400
In most states, 26,000 lbs. GCWR is the threshold for requiring a CDL.  In
some, 25,000 lbs. GCWR is the magic number.  A typical Class 6 GCWR is
31,000 lbs (the F-650 is a Class 6 truck).  Oddly enough, you'll see Class
6 and Class 7 trucks outfitted as rentals (your typical 24' Ryder, for
example) with "24,000 lbs GCWR" emblazoned on the doors -- this is how they
get around the CDL requirements and can rent you or your kid brother a big
truck for your next moving job.

Note that the CDL requirements are usually only for a commercial carrier.
Legal opinions vary, but if you are not hauling "for hire" (and
particularly if you set up your trailer as a motorhome, with a head, a bed,
and food-prep capability), you shouldn't need a CDL.  There's a lot of pros
and cons associated with CDLs -- on the pro side, getting some decent
training in large-vehicle driving and tight-quarters maneuvering is a Very
Good Thing, on the con side, it's a lot easier to lose a CDL for things
like speeding tickets, some insurance carriers may actually raise your
rates -- or require a commercial policy instead of a "private citizen"
policy -- if you have a CDL because it implies you're hauling "for hire",
most states require a physical, and you may be required to keep a FTC-spec
log book in the tow vehicle and comply with all the various rules and regs
that big rigs do -- like maximum drive time, minimum rest time, weigh
stations, etc.

Check with your state DMV/Secretary of State for the particulars where you
live, of course.  Some states require endorsements for air brakes, etc.  If
I was going to drop the change for a rig like the SuperCrewzer or the
equivalent from another manufacturer (like the Mashburn Freightliner
ProSolo truck from a few years ago), and I had little to no experience
towing big stuff, I'd strongly consider doing a little training.  Air
brakes operate a bit differently than the hydraulic brakes we're all used
to, and things like dual-range rear axles or dual-range manual gearboxes
also take some getting used to.  Better to do that in a controlled
environment than on the road.

In case someone was wondering, I'm a guy who designs bits for tow vehicles
for a living.

Jim Crider