Re: Bushings and struts

To: "Chuck Mathews" <lesser_of2evils@hotmail.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bushings and struts
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 07:20:55 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Chuck Mathews <lesser_of2evils@hotmail.com>
To: autox@autox.team.net <autox@autox.team.net>
Date: Thursday, September 07, 2000 2:39 AM
Subject: Bushings and struts

>I am driving a '92 Honda Civic LX 4DR and racing in ES. I was wondering
what
>the current rules have to say about replacing the bushings on the front
end.
>I would like to change to urethane if allowed (want to stay stock).

You can use any kind of bushings you want on the front sway-bar system as
long as the sway bar does not define geometry.

You can use any kind of bushings you want on the shock absorbers as long as
the shock absorbers do not define geometry.  If the suspension is Macpherson
strut, the strut is part of the suspension geometry, and may not use
non-stock bushings.  If your car has uppper and lower control arms, the
shock absorber is not part of the suspension geometry and the bushings
therefor are unrestricted.

In places where the bushing defines geometry, such as the lower control arm,
you you must use stock bushings.  Get new ones from your Honda dealer.

1970 Lotus Europa, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Chev Suburban, 1962 Triumph TR4
"It makes a nice noise when it goes faster" - 4-year-old Adam, upon seeing a
bitmap of Grandma Susie's TR4.