Re: The HP nationals trend

To: "Larry Steckel" <lorenzoscribe@hotmail.com>, <bthatch@juno.com>,
Subject: Re: The HP nationals trend
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 20:06:09 -0500
When I drew the original Mirror Khana course in 1974 it was considered a
really fast course. It had a 6-cone slalom on 60-foot centers, lane changes
you could take flat out, a pair of 120-degree turns 50 feet wide, a 900 foot
straight, a 750-foot straight, a flat-out chicane you took "on faith,"
another that was juuuuuust not quite flat.

Today it seems about average.

We did an event recently that had a slalom on the rulebook-minimum 45-foot
centers and people -- even in small cars -- complaining it was too tight
(when Mirror Khana was invented, the rulebook minimum on slaloms was 25
feet!).

Unfortunately, IMHO, the more open courses seen today put a greater emphasis
on cubic dollars (how much engine do YOU have?) than on driving skill. Don't
think I dislike the fast, open courses, because they are a hoot. But I also
enjoy the technical challenges of a tighter course. Ultimately, I want to
see some of both during the season.

--Rocky