Re: Rear Shock Access for SS & BSP Corvettes

To: Smokerbros@aol.com
Subject: Re: Rear Shock Access for SS & BSP Corvettes
From: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 14:51:33 -0400
Smokerbros@aol.com wrote:
> No, I don't know better than that!  It's Impound's job to look for
> "obvious illegalities" on Stock vehicles.  At least it was when I was
> Chief of Impound.  Impound inspectors have filed the protest with the
> PC on more than one occasion!

Hmm.  Looking at the 2000 Nationals Supps (which is where Impound is
defined, it isn't in the rulebook) you may be right, but it's a little
vague.  See section F.  It looks similar to last year's, but I haven't
looked any further back.

Key points -- clearly, impound is supposed to look for a few things on
the top cars.  On the other hand, "Impound will generally not act on
information regarding suspected illegalities provided by competitors."
And "The Chief of Impound will submit to the SEB a plan for conducting
impound inspections."  That suggests that they'll only look for what's
in the plan.

The Protest Committee, on the other hand, might find other things, as
in 8.3.3 (page 73): "The PC shall have the authority to impose
penalties upon finding any additional illegal item(s) during an
inspection."

So my personal interpretation is that Impound is not expected to file
protests, even on the most obvious infractions, though they have the
right to.  In particular, they cannot be held responsible for NOT
filing such a protest.

Mark