Re: Questions about Nationals

To: "Paul Cezanne" <oblique@alum.mit.edu>, "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Questions about Nationals
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 07:37:57 -0500
From: Paul Cezanne <oblique@alum.mit.edu>

>>2.  Is the site within walking distance of any place to stay?  I am sure
>>that people camp, do they have bathrooms and showers and such or just
>>port-o-cans?
>>

>Yup, sorta.  The Raceway Motor Inn is walkable since it is on Forbes
>itself, but it is a pretty big walk.  I had my bike with me and just
>cycled it.

I must admit that I always drove the rental hack.  Maybe I borrowed a bike
once to go back to the Raceway Inn for something.  The problem is that I
wanted the car at the site, not that I couldn't have walked that far.
Needless to say for an area south of Topeka:  It's flat as a pancake.
Nothing like the walk I took to retrieve my car in Duluth during my Around
the World in 80 Days Rally adventure.

A cheap bike is a good thing at the Nationals site.  Don't bother with a
multi-gear quality bike.  It's flat.

1970 Lotus Europa, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Chev Suburban
"If I can do it, it's not art"  - Red Green