Re: Stock or Modified(Street Prepared, Prepared, Mod, etc.)?

To: Jay Mitchell <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Stock or Modified(Street Prepared, Prepared, Mod, etc.)?
From: John Whitling <alliancemillsoft@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 14:49:50 -0500
I do agree with Jay. I've campaigned numerous stock cars and now I'm in
a mod car. In general, stock cars are a walk in the park by comparison
(as long as you're on the ragged edge). The ragged edge in a sedan/stock
type car is about 2 feet wide. The ragged edge in a mod car seems about
6 inches wide ... sometimes even less. Having said that, any poorly
setup car can be quite a handful.

If it were me, I would spend lots of time in the stock class. It'll take
you 2 years just to learn what "fast" really is (hint ... it's not the
car). You'll also have lots of great competitors. Great competitors are
essential to becoming a "hot shoe". Pick a cheap class so you can travel
a lot and properly equip yourself. You'll get your butt kicked for a
while. So what? You're learning way more driving a slow car at 100% than
you'll ever learn driving a fast car at 80%.

One last thing ... a fast stock car driver still has a learning curve in
a mod car but he can be very fast in an easy to drive mod car (under
powered and nicely balanced). Formula Fords are such cars.

Good luck
John Whitling