Cantilever Goodyear sportcarspecials Q?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Cantilever Goodyear sportcarspecials Q?
From: "Tom Tyler Jr." <ttylerjr@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 00:28:01 -0500
Since this is my first posting after lurking for a couple of weeks I might
as well introduce myself--

I play SOLO II in a '86 Dodge Omni in Emod.  I heard DM class means
"Doesn't Matter" but they wouldn't let me run there so I run in EM which I
have been told stands for "Extra Money".

The main reason I have a mod car is so I don't have to worry about the
rules, other than safety rules, while I play and learn.

Many of the top performers in the local TVR region of SCCA and the local
TAC (Twickenham Auto Club) have been running Goodyear Sport Car Special G19
tires.  Since I am in mod class I tried out a set of 'em on 8 inch rims,
specifically 23 X 8 X 15 on my Omni GLHT 2.5L intercooled with stock
springs and adjustable Konis.

The sidewalls were wasted within two events.  I spent money to go to
college back in the early 80's and spent money to learn that these tires
wouldn't work with my car and suspension setup this year.  (It costs money
to learn :() DOH!

I have lots of other questions about these tires but will hold them in
reserve.

Some of my peers suggested that the reason for the bad tire performance was
that the rims were too wide.  Goodyear suggests 7 inch rims but says 8 inch
shouldn't make a big difference.

Other people said I should up the pressure from 19 psi to 40 but the
goodyear people said that was a no-no.  I did up the pressure but it didn't
really make a difference.
I figured the cause of my early tire failure was due to insufficient
suspension.  Driving around the course on 3 wheels~<^^
--- Regardless of tire pressure or rim width, driving a 4 wheeler on 3
wheels at the limits of adhesion is not conducive to even tire wear.(but
it's still fun!)

You can see a picture of the 3 wheeler omni at:
http://drive.to/underpressure
go to the page called "silver car in action".
Look at the lower right hand corner of the page labled "silver car in
action".  Those photos show dollar bills being shreaded into dust by a
three wheeler.

Since then I have improved the suspension to the point that I stay on 4
wheels all of the time (without front swaybar) by using stiff coilovers.

Since the car now stays level throughout the course I figure the G19's
should operate as designed without totally folding over.

So the QUESTION to y'all autoX'rs is: Now that my car runs on 4 wheels
instead of 3, now that it is a level racing machine, (now that it is not
comfortable for daily driving), would you expect these cantilever G19 tires
to work well on my 2500 lb FWD Grocery Getter?  Any other comments?

Question #2 -- Is it bad to run cantilevered tires like these on wide rims
other than loosing height?

ByTheWay 205-50-15 Khumo Victoracers on 8 inch rims sure do kick butt on
this car now that its a 4 wheeler :)  And with the new spring setup its a
totally new machine so it will take years to figure out where to go from here.

Thanks-
Tom Tyler
Novice driver climbing the steep side just for mental stimulation
Huntsville, Alabama
WA1UUV/4
PE