harnesses and their stand-ins

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: harnesses and their stand-ins
From: "Mari L. Clements" <mlc4@psu.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 09:25:03 -0400
richard nichols wrote:
> I've been autoxing for a couple of years, and somehow I keep putting the
> harness at the end of my list.  Big mistake in my case, 'cause the kinetic
> shoulder harness doesn't hold me in any kind of position at all.  So I can
> see why these experienced autoxers would tell us to put it at the *top* of
> our list.

and Patrick Washburn replied:
>Poor mans fix:  The pinch and twist.  Cinch it up as tight as you can,
>pich the belt straps together above the buckle loop, unbuckle, twist
>three times, suck in that gut and re-buckle.  It will at least stop the
>strap from sliding through the loop and will feel tighter.

Slightly less (but only slightly less) poor man's fix:  the car seat
anti-slip device.  All of the car seats we've ever owned (car seats as in
for small children, not car seats as in Recaro), came with these little
devices that hooked on the belts to prevent them from sliding.  They also
sell these things in the baby sections of stores.  Without embedding a
graphic (and causing e-mail programs across the country to have a headache,
the listserv to reject this e-mail, and Mark to send me a polite note about
how this message was problematic), the description of the thing is something
like two capital letter T's turned on their sides and joined at the bases.
The seat belts then go over the middle section and are tucked under the
tops.
The advantage:  Twisting belts left bruises on Eric's and my hipbones.

Still poor man, but getting a little less so fix:  traditional lap belt
added.  We had one of these lying around from our Shelby parts car, but you
can also pick them up pretty cheap at your local autoparts store.  This
solution assumes that the hardware from your existing seatbelts is
sufficiently long to handle the addition of another belt and still have
plenty left over to make sure they won't let go in a crash.
The advantage:  Your rear-end is firmly planted in the seat.  Eric likes the
feel so much better that he drives around town with the added lap (and the
existing slide lap & shoulder belt) on.

Me?  I want a harness, 'cause I'm still all over the car.

mlc