Re: [Re: [new to the list...]

To: "Lonnie Heston" <lhheston@netscape.net>, <cmack@WPI.EDU>
Subject: Re: [Re: [new to the list...]
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 13:04:19 -0400
> > well, i am new and have simple tech question, i just put new brake pads
on
> > the front of my 84 rx7 and had the rotors turned, what is the proper
> > breaking to get the new stuff seated, if any?(they are carbon metalic
> > pads)

> Although new at autox I have put brake pads/shoes on cars for
(mumble-mumble)
> years and a wide variety of cars.  I have always tried to drive them
gently
> the first 100 miles of city type driving, avoid panic stops if possible.
> After that enough wear has taken place they can be hit hard without a
> problem.
================================
Last month I read an article in Mopar Action (yeah, I know they're basically
just an old V8 mag but to their credit they do publish a Neon how-to article
nearly every month) that addressed the issue of how to break in new pads on
a Neon or a '68 Charger.

Here's what they had to say, paraphrased of course.

To break in and bed in the new pads you just basically get on a deserted
strech of road where you can be assured of being totally alone, make sure
nobody is closely following you and do a half dozen or more 70-20mph HARD
stops until the pads feel like they're gonna fade the next time.  Then just
let them cool down and drive them as usual.

They claimed that this process not only "broke" in the surface of the pads
but helped to disperse some of the gasses that are embedded into the actual
pad material and can cause brake fade later on down the road, or track as
the pads "outgas".

See you on course.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
#69 DS  TLS #13
eric10mm@qni.com

"Dolphin Safe Tuna".
It's okay, unless you happen to be the Tuna.