re: wheel lugs and spacers

To: "'autox@autox.team.net'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: wheel lugs and spacers
From: Gent Matthew-EMG030 <Matthew_Gent-EMG030@email.mot.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 12:06:40 -0400
The car is a 97 Integra GSR.  My options are to have a $200 set of wheels
milled down 1-2mm, buy an expensive ($500) set of wheels and run 4-5mm of
spacer, or buy a dirt cheap ($80/set) of steelies and run 8-9mm of spacer.
I figure if I'm doing spacers and lugs anyways, I might as well go with the
cheaper set of wheels.

I have access to a mill at work so I could do custom spacers myself, but I
don't think I could fixture the wheels.

Tonight I'll take off a lug and see how much protrusion I have with a stock
setup, as that will determine how much spacer I can run without replacing
lugs.

I was mainly looking for brands/vendors of spacers and lugs.

Matt

On Thu, 29 Jul 1999 10:24:34 -0400 Gent Matthew-EMG030
<Matthew_Gent-EMG030@email.mot.com> writes:
>What is available for wheel spacers

Depends.  If you are in a stock class, you are limited to one-quarter
inch.

>and where could I find them?

If you are willing to do some work on them (i.e., get them milled down to
the right width), you can pick up a universal set at your local autoparts
store.  If you want a set that comes at the right width and/or custom for
your car, you'll have to look harder.  For instance, for MR2's, they are
available from MR2 Performance Products.  I'd imagine other marquee's
have similar places.  Sometimes you can also come up with unique
solutions, too.  For instance, if you chop a MR2's brake rotor in half,
you have the perfect width and size spacer!

>What is a maximum safe amount of spacer?

Depends on the hub, the studs, the car (weight/balance/etc./etc.), etc.

>As for lugs, is it necessary to go with longer, hardened studs if I
>run 5mm spacers?  How about 9mm?  I guess its application specific.

Yes, it is application specific and OEM specific.

>Who makes them, where can I find them, and how much?

Not to sound like a broken record or anything, but it depends on the car.
 (Toyota, for instance, has the mega-long lug nuts on their stock
alloys.)

mlc
'91 MR2 NA with 1/4 inch spacers in front