re:re-surfacing wheels

To: "'autox@autox.team.net'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: re:re-surfacing wheels
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 13:19:07 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Wed, 28 Jul 1999, Gent Matthew-EMG030 wrote:
> How did you have it done?  Fixtured up in a mill or on a lathe?  Seems like
> the lathe is a better idea to guarantee they stay square.  Who did it for
> you?  How much?

One set was free / trade for a future favor, the other set was $15/wheel.
Both time in a lathe.  Each time the outside of the rim had some marks put
in it, but I didn't care about tiny marks.

I think either a mill or a lathe would work fine.  In each case, you've
got the same sorta possible out of alignment error (either jaws in the
lathe aren't square or the mill table isn't square), but also in each case
I imagine that he allowable runout on the wheels is much greater than the
innacuracy of the typical lathe or mill.

Good luck!

Mark