re:re-surfacing wheels

To: "'autox@autox.team.net'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: re:re-surfacing wheels
From: Gent Matthew-EMG030 <Matthew_Gent-EMG030@email.mot.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 10:19:04 -0400
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 10:14:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Subject: Re: wheel offset, spacers, milling, etc was 15X6 wheel post

Howdy,

On Mon, 26 Jul 1999, Gent Matthew-EMG030 wrote:
> I've found quite a few cheap wheels with a 38mm offset, .65mm away from
> legal.  Is it possible, practical, and safe to have a set of wheels milled
> .65 - 2 mm from the hub mating surface?  Has this ever been done?  How
much
> would it cost?

Let me start off by saying that if you kill yourself, anyone else, wreck
your car, or otherwise have a problem, its not my fault.  If you decide to
do what I'm talking about below, you take all risk.

Now that that's outta the way... :-)  I've milled 1mm from the hub surface
on 8 AR-24's with no problems at all.  1mm isn't very much material and I
felt safe doing that, given the nature or society I'm expecting that the
wheel manufacturer (who targets these wheels for the street) used standard
over-engineering practices and that I'm eating into the safety margin.

If you have wheels designed for racing, I'd call the manufacturer and ask.
You also want to look at clearance issues or whatever (maybe they'll hit
the dustcap or something?).

But in general, I don't think milling 1mm off a hub mounting surface for a
street designed wheel will end up being a problem.

Mark

Thanks for the reply.  The wheels in question are OE Dodge "pizza" wheels
from mid-80s chargers and omnis.  I haven't gotten an up-close look to see
how much material is there in the first place.

How did you have it done?  Fixtured up in a mill or on a lathe?  Seems like
the lathe is a better idea to guarantee they stay square.  Who did it for
you?  How much?
Matt