Front end pushing on MR2

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Front end pushing on MR2
From: Tony Kern <armand@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 10:16:34 -0400
Last Sunday's event at Ft Meade was a disaster for me and my 93NA MR2.
Course featured a very tight left hander 'box' after a series of three
offset gates. I was tempted to down shift to first gear but opted to
rely on the 'pesky torque' of the car to pull me through. First two runs
had me plowing like a farmer and clipping outside cone in the following
gate. Desparate for a clean run, I upped tire pressures 2 psi front and
rear, drove like a granny and got a clean session of 53.111. However, my
clock got cleaned by my season long competition (924S) who logged a
50.668. The worker in the stop garage said he'd never seen a MR2 plow
like that. Course surface is 'tar and chip' and was exceptionally sandy.

Here's the car's set up:

BFG R1 (27 F, 24 R) - per BFG FAQ, 205/50x15 F, 225/50x15 R
Tokicos @ 1 front, @ 4 rear
TRD front bar (modified w/ two additional holes, set to 'stiffest)
-2.5 camber, .08" toe out front, -2.0 camber, .08" toe in rear.

To date, this set up has worked just fine; I'm the curent points leader
in C Stock (Metro Washington Council of Sports Car Clubs) and have
beaten the Porsche in four of six events.

R1's are wearing but still show 'legal' tread depth per GCR/SIR; I'm
hearing that 27F/24R is all wrong, should be reversed. Huh?, not per
BFG. Wear is right to tread edge, no roll over. Too stiff in the front
for the course?; resetting the bar ends is a PITA, need an air tool for
that and a trip to the shop. Or was it just a bad day and the nut
holding the steering wheel was a bit loose?.

One last item, the R1's may or may not finish out the season. I hear
that 225/50x15 V700 (if they're still available, groan) would be a 'good
thing', but 225/50 on a 6" rim?. Would this tire set up help eliminate
fornt end 'push'?.

Sorry if this took a lot of BW, e-mail me privately with comments,
suggestions, flames, etc. .

Tanx,
Tony