Re: AX'ing in a 7

To: "JD Kemp" <kempclan@email.msn.com>, <jim.boone@intel.com>
Subject: Re: AX'ing in a 7
From: "ken howatt" <howatt3@skylink.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 10:38:56 -0700
I recommend converting to TR3 wire wheels and 145-15 all season tires.  Come
to think of it, I happen to have all of the bits necessary to make the
conversion, which I will happily sell to the first victim.
I removed the aforementioned vintage equipment and replaced it with 3 piece
Keizer aluminum wheels. They are 13x7 with 3" backspacing.  MEASURE your own
set up carefully before ordering wheels.  I use various spacers to keep the
tire off the frame rails in high G corners.  The main reason for going with
13x7 rims is that there are a lot of compound choices and size options for
slicks to fit the rims. I am using Goodyear 20x8x13, 160 compound tires that
I bought as take-offs.  I plan to buy another set of wheels and tires so
that I can put the car back on the street now that the wires are removed.  I
will probably go with 15x6 or 15x5.5 wheels and 195-65-15 tires.  I want a
tire diameter of 24" or more so that the gearing is more conducive to
touring.  The car has a 4.12 diff and a four speed, so revs add up quickly.
I hope this helps.  Ken Howatt, 1983 Westfield 7.