Re: BMW M3 Tire ?'s

To: Dwwalker16@aol.com, autox@autox.team.net, dwalker@atrixlab.com
Subject: Re: BMW M3 Tire ?'s
From: Brian M Kennedy <kennedy@i2.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 09:00:49 -0500
At 12:42 AM 7/21/99 , Dwwalker16@aol.com wrote:
>Hi All -
>
>I need some current tire size info from those running an AS M3.  As
>my-codriver and I see it, there are several size choices available for a '98
>M3:
>1.  235/40/17 all the way around.
>2.  225's in front, 245's in rear (stock staggered set-up).
>3.  From some of the Nat. Tour results, it appears that there are some 255
>set-ups being run.
>
>What does the conv. wisdom say these days?

Conventional wisdom says that BMW went to the staggered sizes for two
reasons:  to increase understeer and to reduce tramlining.
Thus, for autox, the staggered setup is not really desirable.
And standard 245's will fit under the front just fine, so adding extra
stick to the front is generally wise.

>   We will probably be running BFG's.

I assume you mean G-Force R1's (not KD's).  And R1's are of course
bigger than the "standard" tires.  235's all around is a safe and
common setup for R1's.  Some have squeezed on 245's without rubbing;
but most who put them on, need to do some fender rolling (CSP'ers).

As for 255 setups, that was common with the older Comp T/A R1's.
But I haven't heard of anyone managing to squeeze on G-Force 255's
without fender rolling and spacers on the front.  So, I wouldn't go
there if you want to stay in AS.

HTH,

Brian

Disclaimer:  All above based on heresay.  I run CSP, roll my fenders,
and prefer Kumho.  But I do have a 98 M3.