STU/Subaru

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: STU/Subaru
From: Joshua L Locklear <joshlocklear@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 20:42:51 -0400
>There's a Suburu based on the WRC chassis - I don't remember the model
>designation - that Sport Compact Car is building up in their latest
couple of
>issues. If memory serves, the North American version is a 2.4, and the
WRC is a
>2.0 or a 2.2. I think the NA version is turbocharged from the factory,
but
>apparently the turbocharger + plumbing from the WRC-copy (not the actual
WRC
>car) are available from Suburu fairly cheaply, and bolt right on to the
2.4.

>My details are a little fuzzy, but the gist of it was that one could
build a
>turbocharged WRX replica using the slightly larger stock North American
engine
>for a reasonable amount of money - "reasonable" in this case meaning
"not too
>much" - using parts available at the Suburu parts counter.

The Subaru you are referring to is the Impreza 2.5 RS, and I think there
is also a Legacy version called the 2.5 GT.  Proposal B would disallow
turbocharged versions of both of these cars, along with Grand Prix's,
supercharged M3's, etc.  Therefore, I really think that Proposal A is
better.  This "new STU" is supposed to give a lot of
otherwise-disenfranchised drivers a place to play, and I really think
that keeping the small-engined cars competitive really isn't an issue.
Many of these drivers just want to be able to get *remotely close* to
their competition, which is something they can't do in e-mod.  The gap
between a turbocharged 1.6 liter civic and a supercharged 3.8 liter Grand
Prix is going to be much smaller than the gap between the same turbo
civic and a tube-frame fiero.  This is really what we are working
towards, and IMHO, we should try to include as much of the
currently-disenfranchised audience as possible, instead of only a
selected portion.  Proposal A seems to be the natural choice to include
as many people as possible, while still maintaining a *reasonable* level
of competition.  Again, that's just my opinion...

Josh Locklear
Ohio Valley Region
1988 Toyota Camry "2.0 GT"
OVR HS #24