emptying the gas tank

To: "autocross list" <autox@autox.team.net>, "neon list" <neon@iastate.edu>
Subject: emptying the gas tank
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 01:46:01 -0700
Howdy from the warm midwest!!!

So, I was reading the latest SportsCar magazine from the SCCA and there's a
small article regarding how to determine the absolute minimum amount of
gasoline that must be in any car in order to not suffer from fuel starvation
during a race.

The author says that he uses the stock electric fuel pump to empty the gas
tank.  Any idea if this is applicable to Neons?  Pardon my lack of electron
understanding but if the ignition key is in the "on" position the in-tank
fuel pump in my Neon is pumping, right?

Can I simply unfasten some portion of the stock fuel line from under the
car's chassis and let the electric pump squirt the gas into a gas can?  I
know there's no return line to the tank in the Neon's fuel injection system
so that narrows down the choices of under body hoses to play with.

Thanks in advance.

See you on course.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
#69DS    TLS #13
'98 Neon R/T
<eric10mm@qni.com>

Patrick Henry:
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone
who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it
but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."

Benjamin Franklin:
"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary
safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."