ST Grain of Salt

To: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Subject: ST Grain of Salt
From: Greg and Valerie Holden <gholden1@nycap.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 11:14:15 -0400
List,

I showed up today (7/18) at the MoHud SCCA chapter auto-x with two friends.
Myself and one of my friends signed up for ST. There were 130 drivers. We were
the only ones who ran as ST.

The tech inspection guys were like, "What the hell is ST-N?", "They let you sign
up as that?", "I guess it's OK then.". At this point I'm thinking, "Sports Car
Cover Story", "Main feature artical (sp?)", "Do these guys read there own
orginization's mouthpiece?"

On the bright side, we were allowed to run as ST and were listed as such, so
they didn't shun us. (We had a blast and MoHud put on a GREAT event).

I think this class will expand as the word get's out, because I pitted on the
grid/staging lane (got there early like the weeny I am ;-)) and the few CSP and
DSP drivers who asked me "What the hell is ST?" after seeing my shoe polish
REALLY liked the answers I gave. "You mean I don't have to compete against cars
running slicks?" was a common answer.

Everyone on this mailing list is probably the kind of person who loathes to
visit the bathroom w/o reading material, but a lot of drivers are not avid
readers. I don't think that audience is getting the message about ST. I don't
know how to fix this, since ST is not the center of all things good, but keep in
mind that our lofty ideas are not instantly installed in the minds of other SCCA
members and autocrossers.

Greg Holden
Novice, 96 GS-R driver realizing why everyone says Michelin XGTV4's suck.