CSP tire/wheel questions

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: CSP tire/wheel questions
From: "Brad Cox" <coxb@trimofran.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 15:54:44 -0500
Well, I'm finally ready to make the big commitment and get some
wheels/tires.  I've posted a few questions previously concerning brand,
size, etc.  Thanx to all who helped me out!  I just have a few more
questions.  I guess this question mainly concerns gearing.  My car ('98
civic DX) is geared rather tall.  I can reach 73mph in 2nd.  Therefore, I'm
looking at a smaller wheel size to help compensate.

Right now I'm puzzling between a 13 and 14 inch wheel.  I know the 13" will
give me lower gearing, but could it be too low?  Are there any advantages to
running one size or the other that are not related to gearing?  What is
considered the standard for most CSP cars?  Will I have an easier time
finding tires with one size over the other?  I've found sizes ranging from
205 to 225 in both diameters.  Is more contact patch always better?

My last question involves wheel well clearance.  Are my wheels allowed to
protrude from under the wheel wells in CSP?  I've seen other SP cars which
have been to national events with a noticeable amount of rubber sticking out
from under the fenders.  However, it looks to me like this isn't allowed.
Do they just not enforce this rule in a strict manner or have I read wrong?

Thanx again!
-brad