Re: How to start a class (wordy)

To: oblique@alum.mit.edu, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: How to start a class (wordy)
From: Rjgrainger@aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 01:24:20 EDT
In a message dated 99-07-12 09:48:10 EDT, oblique@alum.mit.edu writes:

<<
 On the other hand, maybe Vince and Matt are very serious about winning the
 first ST chanmpionship and they both wanted the extra year development time
 over the rest of the field.  Sounds like a great long term plan to me.

I would like this class to be counted as a National championship.  A national
class champion is OK.  It is similar to my ProSolo championship in ST last
year.  I did earn the respect and recognition of my driving skills in the
Prosolo community.  It did not place me in the ranks of drivers who had
national championships at the Solo II nationals.  The Prosolo championship is
at a different level.  This is not bad but when your name appears in the list
of national champions in the Solo II rule book, you have place yourself at
level of honor. We all recongize national champions for what they have
earned.

I view this National Class championship as just another rematch for those who
run the Prosolo Pro Series ST class and a couple in National series.  This
could allow a different winner or allow a little more honor to whom captures
both Prosolo and class winner.  Others will run this class at nationals and
might have the chance to win, but I don't think it will happen.  I have
followed the results and there is a chance for 10 or so ProSolo drivers to
win.  Again a rematch for Prosolo.

At the past three Nationals, I have run ESP.  I have placed 28/32 , 32/35 and
last year 19/34.  Each year moving closer to a trophy.  This has been my goal
since my second nationals.  To trophy in ESP with a car that no one else has
chosen which has half the number of cylinders, half the power and not the
best suspension would be great.  This was my goal for the 1999 season.
Running Prosolo in ST and try to trophy in ESP at nationals.  I had been
preparing for this all season.  At the Evansville Tour, I found out that ST
would have a class at nationals. Now what class to run?

Go for a national ST class champion or try for one last chance for a trophy
in ESP before next year DSP.   The ST class championship fits the the car
better and it would be a better match.  A trophy in ESP would be the
challenge and show my driving skills and answer the question "Why a Olds,
FWD, Four cylinder, why your car in this class?"   I would really like to
prove all those who asked that they were wrong.

Where I stand?   I don't know yet.  Both I would be happy with.  One is a
goal and other just happen to be there this year.  Running ST class like the
carts on friday would make the decision easier.  I would prefer that SCCA
wait until next year before the class runs at nationals.  This would allow
everyone the chance to choose to run ST or not to.  I think it was to late to
announce that this class is running at Topeka.   I would prefer the chance to
run against National caliber drivers next year.  I don't think the field of
drivers this year is at this level to be called National Champion.   This
almost sound like the opinion of the SCCA board.

thanks
matthew grainger
# 23 ST and 23 ESP