Re: Timing truck to replace trailer, yup-we've done that

To: Smokerbros@aol.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Timing truck to replace trailer, yup-we've done that
From: rohns@doitnow.com (Jim & Marilyn Rohn)
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 20:59:37 -0700 (MST)
>> SF Region is considering replacing the timing trailer with a truck, probably
>> cube van.  If it was up to you, what things would be important?
>>
>> Charlie Davis

As a Region that put up with having to get someone lug around a very ugly
trailer for years, we decided to get a "cube" truck about 10 years ago. I
contacted a couple of the rental truck companies and, viola - one was
phasing out one of their shop service trucks. It was 3 years old, but had
~50k miles on it. It was that "yellow" truck rental company (Hertz/Penske),
but their shop truck was white, PERFECT!

A one ton dually Toyota, 1987 with fuel injection (no a/c though).  I think
we paid $3k for it.  We *do not* use the cab for timing, we have a table
and an awning that attaches to the side of the truck for that.

It hold all our cones, timing equip, display, EZ Up-style tents, brooms,
generator, oil dry (yes, we still have British cars competing), everything.
WE did add shelves to the front wall of the cube for our tote boxes full of
everything.

The opposite side of the truck cube (not the timing side) is where we hang
the timing board (dry erase). This side gets a canopy/tent as well (more
for the sun that that wet stuff).

Other than the ocassional battery, we've had very little maint problems.

We also have been fortunate to be able to store the truck on the sites that
we rent for our events (Firebird/Bondurant before, Exponent Failure
Analysis currently) which really helps with the transporation logistics.
But the smaller size did make it possible to store at member's homes when
we did not have that luxury.

FWIW, YMMV, etc

Jim Rohn
AZ Region SCCA