Re: F-body info

To: Kevin McCormick <ktm@unify.com>
Subject: Re: F-body info
From: Alek Tziortzis <alextz@comm.mot.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 11:08:02 -0500
One thing I forgot to mention is the limited slip differential in the
F-bodies.

all 4th gen cars (1993-1998) had an auburn limited slip differential.
They arent the greatest, especially when you have 325 ft-lbs of torque
at the rear wheels and they wear out (depending on the fluid you use).
Id say if you run a little friction modifier, an auburn could last 15K
miles of combined street driving/autox.

I replace mine once a year, right before nationals. SLP used to sell
takeoffs for $65 each, but since the 1999+ Fbodies have the Torsen, they
ran out of takeoffs.

The 1999+ cars use a light duty Zexel Torsen limited slip unit. I dont
think the torque biasing is any better than the auburn, but one good
thing about the Torsen is that it wont wear out.

Some other miscellaneous things I forgot from before:

brakes, Both LS1 and LT1 cars can exhibit a little axle hop under severe
braking, this is due to the factory overbias on the rear brakes of the
car. The solution is just run better pads up front, stock or even
machined pads in the rear.

With the bigger front sway bar and Kumhos I dont get brake hop unless
under the most extreme circumstances (99.9% of the time ok)and I run
stock pads all around.  The brakes on the LS1 cars are bigger so stock
pads work fine. On my old car  (1994 Z28) I used to run Carbotech greens
in front, pep boy pads in back (the stock pads on the LT1 car are crap
if you ask me).

however, properly equipped, I dont think there is a braking advantage
between the LS1 or LT1 cars (except for fade, not usually a concern in
Solo II) .

On the highway both cars can get 28-30 mpg on the highway in 6th gear
(not bad for the hp!).

Alex Tziortzis
1998 Z28 1LE