F-body info...

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: F-body info...
From: David Shreve <vw_speed_racer@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 16:30:18 PDT
I am beginning to think about trading cars during the off-season, and am
considering getting a late-model V8 F-body (96-98 Z28 or Formula).  I'm
looking at the Camaro/Firechicken for 3 reasons:

1.  I am getting tired of the import scene and want to take a break from it.
  I'll probably end up back in one sooner or later, but I want out for a
while...

2.  I want to learn to drive RWD, AND I want to be in a class where there
are other cars just like mine with better drivers, where there will be a
good way for me to see how I am driving compared to the really fast guys.

3.  The V8 F-body cars offer the most bang (hp) for my daily driver
$$...~300hp for $15k-18k.

I was wondering if some of you FS folks could shed some light on a few
questions for me...

1.  What are the criteria I should use in choosing my new rocket sled?  I
assume manual tranny and no T-tops are necessary...what about other options
(rear axle ratio, etc...).  Do I need to buy an LS1 car to be competitive?
Also, from what I have heard, the B4C/1LE package is not essential, right?
I doubt I'd have much luck finding a 1LE car on a used lot...

2.  Are there any things in particular I need to watch out for when buying a
used F-body?  Common problems that might not be easy for the newcomer to
spot?

3.  What will the car need to be competitive in FS in terms of setup...which
front bar, which shocks, alignment settings, etc...

-dave
#13 STR
VW GTI-VR6

Please reply privately as I am on the digest and I doubt many others will be
interested...