Re: SST vs STU

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SST vs STU
From: GSMnow@aol.com
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 10:41:18 EDT
Since I just got back from Evansville, and we actually had ST STR andSTU cars
running, I can make a few comments.

The times the ST and STR cars were turning were very close, and I think the
top ST car might have been faster. The top ST guys had a separate set of race
street tires, I think the top was on G-Force kd's. The size was something
like 225 35 17. (if that driver is online, you can correct me) It sure was
fun to watch as the top cars swapped around the lead both days. The STR's
were also quite good running times between Stock and SP. As for STU it was
just me in my turbocharged rear drive Celica and a One Lap of America prepped
Neon from New York. We had fun, and started pretty close, but we actually ran
about the same times as the other ST's. I know I did not run my best as this
was my first National Tour and I think my tires have reached thier limit. The
Neon was down a bit of power to me but lighter and with fresh tires. We both
had 225 50 14 G-Forces. He beat me in the turns where I was washing out. We
talked a bit about the rules and agree they need some clarification. We both
ran 7 inch or under rims, but the SP references do seem to allow the open
wheel sizes in STU. I actually like the wheel size limit of ST/STR and will
stay there unless others show up with wider wheels and blow me away.

As far as the emissions testing goes, I would like to see something kept, but
the different states rules are a problem. Of course I am biased here, but
having a test station that can do an IM-240 test would be one way. Many
states are adopting this. Here you can pay $20 and they test the car and give
you the results with no official effect. I don't see any reason out of state
cars could not be urn through. If the car passes, all is done. If it fails,
you get a printout, and we could set a Gram per mile limit of say 2 or 3
times the state requirements so the close calls can't complain too much. If a
car is protested on this, they can give him 3 weeks to mail, in a test result
with either a pass or still below an easier limit.

Just an idea. I say to use the IM-240 since it is far more fair. The sniffer
tests no load and mnay cars are much dirtier, I know mine is. Once loaded and
at higher revs, even a bit of cam is no longer a problem.

Just more fuel for the fire,

Gary M.
After my lousy driving Saturday, I added after my class...
 24 STU  pid

Did a bit better sunday, but still..........