Re: Street Touring and tires

To: autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Street Touring and tires
From: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 23:35:05 -0500

Dan Bettis wrote:

>     Has any body ever kicked around the idea of a spec tire.  Like a
> Yokohama A509 or similar tire.  Something that wears well, is cheap, good in
> the rain on the street, and available in many sizes.  It seems like to run
> ST you need some $200+ tires.  Maybe STU since it is unlimited should have a
> prepared type rule allowing any tire and a certain size wheel.  No matter
> what I hope these classes stay around.  I personally want to run STU next
> year if I get my trans fixed, but I hate to put the car together then the
> class end and I have to run E-Mod.

The trick here would be to pick a tire that is a decent performer,
available in a variety of sizes for everything from 13" to 17" wheels,
and inexpensive... then find a sponsor (tire mfr or large chain such as
the Tire Rack) to offer them at a good rate to us in exchange for being
the "official spec tire of the Solo II Street Tire class".  This would,
of course, require National support.

If Yok 509's or AVS's (probably a better choice assuming they're not
being discontinued) or similar were deemed the spec tire for a street
tire class, I'd buy them.

--
Loren Williams | Homepage - http://www2.southwind.net/~lsw
'94 Saturn SC2 | Wichita Region SCCA - http://www2.southwind.net/~scca