Re: 17" Wheels on a Tow Vehicle?

To: David K Yeung <dkyeung@juno.com>
Subject: Re: 17" Wheels on a Tow Vehicle?
From: Tommy Regan <tommy_regan@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 05:43:56 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks, Dave, but that's pretty much where I'm running into a brick
wall.  I'm not able to dig up the proper info on the wheels or tires.
The wheels are identical to a set of Rohs, but someone else told me
they're actually made by American Racing?  And I checked the websites
of BFG, Discount Tire, and the Tire Rack and none of them had the info
on the tire I was looking for, either.  I've got two more places to try
to get the info.  We'll see how they pan out....

Thanks!
Tommy

--- David K Yeung <dkyeung@juno.com> wrote:
> make sure the wheel is up to the load rating of your truck.  a wheel
> designed for a car (albeit a large one) may not be up to snuff for
> use on
> a truck for towing.  Failure may be in the form of stress cracks
> developing between the rim and spokes or failure of the center hub
> due to
> extreme loading.  sometimes the load ratings for wheels are included
> on a
> sticker placed on the inside of the rim (pressurized area).  If not,
> try
> contacting the wheel manufacturer (not Chevy).  Enkei has been the
> OEM
> vendor for many factory GM alloy wheels.  Also check the tire size
> has
> the load rating you need.  50 ratio tires typically have less load
> capacity due to the reduction in overall air volume.  Given these 2
> factors are satisfied, you should have no problem.
>
> Dave Yeung
> Houston Texas
>
> On Wed, 30 Jun 1999 23:48:08 -0700 (PDT) Tommy Regan
> <tommy_regan@yahoo.com> writes:
> >Hey y'all,
> >
> >I'm finally about to get some wheels for my daily driven tow
> vehicle.
> >
> >I'm going to buy some 17x8.5 Impala SS wheels for my '95 GMC 1/2 ton
> >extra cab pick 'em up.  I'm going to run some BFG 255/50-17's from
> an
> >Impala SS, as well.
> >
> >My question is in regard to the towing ability of the tire/wheel
> >package.  Someone scared me when they told me these wheels may fail
> >when subjected to the abuses of towing.  Can anyone substantiate or
> >deny this?  And, no, I'm not sure how the wheels are supposed to
> >"fail."  That's just what I was told.
> >
> >For reference, I've been towing with 275/60-15 BFGs on the stock
> 15x7
> >alloys and they've been fine, if not a little bulgy. :-)  For the
> >record, the towed load weighs in at about 5,000 lbs. give or take.
> >
> >If anyone has any input, I'd appreciate hearing it.
> >
> >Thanks!
> >Tommy
> >

> >===
> >Tommy Regan